If you are looking for hustle and bustle, Tekapo is not the place for you! What it lacks in nightlife, it more than makes up for with scenery, snow and a relaxing atmosphere that makes you feel like you truly got away from it all.
3 hours from Christchurch and 3.5 hours from Queenstown, Tekapo represents the perfect spot to stop and take in the serenity of the stunning Southern Alps landscape. Famous for its lake, hot pools, ice skating, tubing, star gazing and close proximity to Aoraki Mt Cook, this little gem still offers plenty of options when you aren’t on the snow.
Tekapo is also a fantastic spot to try your hand at heli skiing, with some of the most remote mountain slopes in New Zealand available for you to conquer. If you don’t actually want to get out of the helicopter with some skis or a board, there are some truly memorable scenic flight options around the area, many with snow landings!
If you fly into Christchurch, you can create an amazing Snow Road Trip down through Methven/Mt Hutt, into Tekapo/Roundhill and then onwards to Wanaka and Queenstown. Potentially 6+ ski fields in the one trip. Now that’s a Road Trip to remember! If you have the time, just do it!
10 Reasons to Choose Tekapo
1. Perfect stop for a Christchurch to Queenstown Road Trip.
2. Relaxed atmosphere will ensure you head back to your ‘real life’ refreshed.
3. Tekapo Springs hot pools offer the perfect post slopes recovery session.
4. Stunning lake and alpine scenery.
5. Ice skate under the stars.
6. Get a bit romantic with a star gazing tour.
7. Day trip to Aoraki Mt Cook, New Zealand’s tallest mountain.
8. Awesome spot for some remote mountain heli skiing.
9. At least 12 places to eat out. Double figure options is a good thing.
10. Two unique ski fields to conquer – both with LESS CROWDS.
Where to Eat
Kohan Restaurant, Astro Cafe, Mackenzie’s, Run77 Cafe, Reflections Restaurant and Pepes Pizza & Pasta.