Ohau ski field is set in a valley on the Mount Cook mountain range. Visit Ohau and feel as if you have discovered a hidden skiers and boarders paradise away from the rest of the world.
With stunning views overlooking Lake Ohau, the resort caters for all ski levels. There is a beginner tow lift and a double chairlift that accesses intermediate groomed trails on both sides of the valley, while adventurous skiers and snowboarders can take a short hike to the top of the ridgeline, opening up the valley to ski untouched trails and steep terrain, trapping in hours of deep powder turns on a fresh snow day as there are never too many people around.
- Base Facilities: Ski patrol, ski and snowboard rentals office, cafè and ticket office
- Hospitality: Beautiful day lodge with cafeteria serving tasty food; Barista serving espresso coffee, log burner, big wooden tables and sun deck
- Snow School and Mountain Goats program for kids
- Daily shuttle transfers available from Lake Ohau Lodge
- BONUS Children 5 years & under receive a FREE lift pass
The best place to stay and ski or board at Ohau is at Lake Ohau Lodge. This unique boutique lodge has 72 rooms and is located only 20 minutes from the base of Ohau Snow Fields. You can’t get much closer than that in New Zealand.
125 hectares from top of Chairlift
600 hectares from top of Mt Sutton
20 June – 4 Oct
Lift Operating Hours
9am to 4pm
2 hours 30 minutes
More about Ohau
|From||To||Travel Time (approx)|
|Christchurch||Ohau snow field||3 hrs 30 mins|
|Ohau snow field||Queenstown||2 hrs 30 mins|
|Lake Ohau Lodge||Ohau snow field||15 mins|
|Twizel||Ohau snow field||45 mins|
|Omarama||Ohau snow field||55 mins|
|Tekapo||Ohau snow field||1 hr 30 mins|
Ohau Ski Area caters for all abilities. Purchase your lift pass to ski or board in the Mackenzie High Country.
Do you need equipment hire? Visit our online shop for full details.
Top Reasons to choose Ohau
- Perfect stop for a Christchurch to Queenstown Road Trip
- Friendly kiwi hospitality at this family run ski field
- Stunning lake and alpine scenery
- Stay at a home away from home Lake Ohau Lodge only 20 minutes from the snow
- Chill out and enjoy more time on the snow with less crowds at Ohau
- Ohau has a few groomed runs but most of the terrain is off-piste
- O-how you will love this hidden gem…
Ohau welcomes families however the ski field doesn’t really cater for babies or toddlers as there is no creche or baby sitting available. So if you have babies and you are keen to ski Ohau, maybe consider bringing along nana and grandad to look after the little ones.
Ohau caters for kids offering:
- BONUS Children 5 yrs & under receive a FREE lift pass.
- Pretty cheap lessons and equipment hire compared to the other big commercial ski areas on the south island
- Ski School for kids offering group or private lessons
- Ask about the Ohau Mountain Goat program for kids wishing to improve their techniques
- Lake Ohau Lodge is very family friendly with plenty of facilities to entertain the kids