Regular visitors to Porters love the snow, the terrain, magical views, great service and the local hospitality. Escape to a magical winter wonderland and ski Porters!
Pick up your car from Christchurch airport and make your way to State Highway 73. From here its an easy hour drive on a mostly straight drive to Porters ski area. Porters is the first ski area along the Craigieburn Range.
The mountain offers a wide range of trails and lifts suitable for all ages and abilities. With gentle runs and easy lifts for beginners, long cruisy runs for intermediates and some super challenging terrain for the more advanced riders and skiers. Freestylers will also enjoy the Porters Community park which offers a decent challenge for the more adventurous.
- Professionally designed terrain park
- Snow Sports School with professional instruction for groups and individuals
- Excellent, warm, modern càfe and bar
- Complimentary shuttle bus from chain fitting area (bookings are essential)
- Complimentary Wifi access to stay in touch with the outside world
- Children under 7-17yrs are considered youth
- BONUS: Children under 7yrs receive a FREE Lift Pass
Big Mama – 620 vertical metres
2.8m per annum (approx)
Fully automated SMI snow-making system.
late June – mid Sept
Ski-Mat Magic Carpet
Lift Operating Hours
9am to 4pm
More about Porters
From panoramic mountain vistas of Lake Coleridge and the Southern Alps to the expansive views over the Canterbury Plains to Christchurch, Porters offers breath-taking scenery for all to enjoy.
- Ski Hire – the latest hire equipment is available through Ski Express.
- Snow Making – Extensive snow making area
- Snow Sports School – professional instruction for groups and individuals
- Chillax – Excellent, warm, modern café and bar with seating for 120
- Complimentary – shuttle bus from chain fitting area (bookings essential) Ask a Ski Specialist for more details.
- FREE – Wifi access to stay in touch with the outside world.
- Children – Ages 7 to 17 years are considered youth and get a discounted lift pass.
Porters has made a significant investment in snowmaking, snow-fencing and grooming to help ensure fantastic snow conditions. A Carpet-lift makes progression for beginners so easy, and platter lift provides one of the best intermediate slopes for progression in the country. Three T-bars provide access to a plethora of intermediate and advanced ski and board terrain.
Porters is just 1 hour from Christchurch along SH 73, and is the first ski area along the Craigieburn Range. The well maintained access road is unsealed and with ongoing maintenance, it is one of the safest and easiest ski area access roads in NZ.
|From||To||Travel Time (approx)|
|Tekapo||Queenstown||3 hrs 25 mins|
|Porters||Castle Hill Village||5 mins|
Purchase a Porters Lift Pass to enjoy a fun Kiwi ski experience, Porters is a winter playground offering terrain suitable for all levels from beginners to seasoned powderhounds.
Do you need clothing or gear hire? Contact us for prices
Porters has a family focus with a range of ski and snowboard terrain to suit all abilities. It has a nice cosy atmosphere which is very welcoming and family friendly. Smaller that most NZ ski fields, Porters is cosy and with just 5 lifts it is easy to navigate, making it easier to keep track of all the kids on the mountain. The kids and probably the parents will also enjoy free wifi when taking a break from the snow in the càfe and base area. So be sure to pack the iPad!
The big BONUS for families is that children under 7 years receive FREE lift passes at Porters ski field! Plus children ages 7 to 17 years are considered youth and get a discounted lift pass. Ask a Ski Specialist for more info.