Methven is located only 1 hour from Christchurch on the South Island of New Zealand… if you’ve hit the mountain or even the river you’ve missed a turn off and gone too far. The Mt Hutt ski fields are approx 30 minutes from the small ski town of Methven. There is no shortage of accommodation to choose from in Methven. Attractions on offer include hot air ballooning, jet boating, fly fishing and much more.
Anyone wanting a Ski Holiday with the best snow should definitely think about coming to Mt Hutt. Even better if your travelling with children as you will save a lot of Money. Kids under 10 receive a FREE lift pass, FREE accommodation when staying with parents, FREE meals at selected pubs and restaurants and an awesome time!
10 Reasons to Choose Methven
1. Located just 1 hour from Christchurch on the Inland Scenic Route 72.
2. Welcoming families and embracing the concept of kids, eat, stay, play and dine FREE (*conditions apply).
3. Some of the world’s finest heliskiing country and 6 Canterbury ski fields all within 1 hours drive.
4. Friendly locals – experience true kiwi hospitality in Methven.
5. Over a dozen local eateries to choose from country pubs to first class restaurants.
6. Flights into Christchurch are generally cheaper than any other south island gateway – a big bonus when travelling with your family.
7. Mt Hutt Village is a vibrant but quieter option for those wanting to focus more on skiing than partying.
8. One of the largest and highest ski areas in the South Island – reliable snow cover.
9. Varied terrain for beginner through to expert.
10. Plus it’s “the best place ever!” according to our resident expert Lucy who grew up in Methven. No bias.
Things to do
Methven offers a wide range of activities from Lord of the Rings Tours to jet boating, day walks, hot air ballooning, golf and more. Jet boating is an awesome activity for families, the kids get such a thrill from the 360 degree spins and the adrenaline rush of a jet boat ride up the river. Golfing is a popular activity for locals and international visitors. Methven boasts to having one of the top golf courses in New Zealand at Terrace Downs, just a 20 minute drive from Methven CBD. While dad’s out golfing, mum and the children can try clay bird shooting, archery or even treat themselves to the relaxing day spa.
At the i-Site is the Heritage Centre where visitors can learn about New Zealand’s Alpine and Agricultural industries in a fun and interactive ‘encounter’. Using the latest in interactive technology and visual story-telling, visitors are taking on a journey from the mountains to plains, featuring snow sports, geology, weather and contemporary agriculture displays. You can learn about how to milk a cow, sheer a sheep and many other hands on activities the kids are sure to enjoy.
This little ski village is not only famous for its fantastic mountain, it takes ownership of the famous Blue and Brown Pubs. You will find most of the friendly locals and their families at the Brown and lots of tourists at The Blue Pub. (Yes, the blue pub is blue and the brown pub is brown – we get asked that all the time haha.) The Blue Pub hosts the Peak to Pub every year, competitors start at the peak of Mt Hutt where they ski down the mountain, bike down the rugged road then run the flat road into Methven where they finish at The Blue Pub with a famous New Zealand beer Speights. It is always a lot of fun!
When dining out in Methven you won’t be disappointed, there are many different places to choose from whether you enjoy a tasty serving of the best fish and chips, a hearty pub meal or first class dining.
Kids 4 FREE at Methven
You will find the best snow at Methven and Mt Hutt for your ski holiday. And it is definitely a great holiday option if you are travelling with children as you will save a lot of money. With kids under 10 receiving a FREE lift pass, FREE accommodation when staying with parents, FREE meals at selected pubs and restaurants you are sure to have an awesome time! (conditions apply, please ask us for more info.)