Mt Ruapehu is on the North Island of New Zealand offering a ski or snowboard experience you are unlikely to get anywhere else in the world! It’s a unique opportunity to Ski on an active volcano in a World Heritage Area – Tongariro National Park.
Whakapapa and Turora ski areas both have huge basins, steep chutes and drop-offs. The ski fields offer something for everyone, terrain parks for boarders and freeskiiers, fantastic learner facilities and both have a good range of accommodation options from backpackers to 5 star. Including a popular choice – Tongariro Chateau.
Stay in a Chateau in New Zealand – The Chateau Tongariro Hotel Mt Ruapehu is located only 7 kilometres from the ski fields, this classic georgian-style resort hotel offers a nine hole golf course, indoor heated pool, sauna, gym and wireless internet. The perfect place to enjoy fine dining, a great rack of New Zealand lamb or a quiet drink or two.
We definitely recommend you hire a car if flying into Auckland, Wellington or Rotorua, it is an easy drive to the Mt Ruapehu region and once there you will need a car to get around.
10 Reasons to Choose Ruapehu
1. Experience the thrill of skiing on an active volcano.
2. The largest lift accessed terrain and highest lift in New Zealand.
3. The longest vertical descent in Australasia.
4. Mt Ruapehu is a unique dual world heritage area.
5. No where else in New Zealand can you stay in a Chateau.
6. Tongariro Alpine Crossing – hiking and scenic walks.
7. Awe inspiring scenery a haven for those who love the great outdoors.
8. Visit Tukino ski field (a local club field).
9. The best access roads of any NZ Skifield (2 lanes sealed all the way).
10. Movie buffs should visit Mt Doom and other Lord of the Rings locations.
Where to Stay
If you are wanting to ski or board mainly at Whakapapa ski area then we suggest staying in Whakapapa Village. Only 10 minutes drive and you are on the snow. Plus if you are a keen hiker then you can do the Tongariro Crossing walk easily from the village. The one day trek is world famous and the scenery is stunning, featuring volcanic out crops, emerald lakes and craters.
The township of Ohakune is the closest to Turoa ski area. Scenic flights from the Ohakune airstrip, fly over the ski fields, Mt Ruapehu, Mt Tongariro, Mt Ngauruhoe, the Tongariro Crossing, Emerald Lakes and more. So if you can take yourself away from the snow there is plenty to see and do. Don’t forget your camera.